Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My Silky Terrier appetite fallen. the only time she will eat

Customer Question

my Silky Terrier appetite fallen. the only time she will eat it when I open a new can of food. the next day she will not eat the same food. t
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Misty is eating poorly.Is she drinking any more water than usual?Any weight loss?More lethargic than usual?Has she had a recent heat cycle?I think that this may be more than simply not wanting to eat because she isn't getting enough variety if this has been going on for a while. So let me type up some possible reasons for her loss of appetite and things that you can do to help her.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
A decrease in appetite can be related to eating something she should not have, too many treats or table food, eating foreign material (which could cause a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction), chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure, Addison's disease (hypoadrenocorticism) or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.If she hasn't eaten normally in several weeks ideally she would see her veterinarian soon since this has been going on for more than a few days. Simple stomach upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine her, run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate her and know best how to treat her.In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate her.If you would prefer there are some things you can try at home.At home to try and settle her stomach you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous so that she will eat better. They are quite safe and can be used long term if necessary.A couple of hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 2/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice, plain potatoes or pasta mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. If she eats this well for several days you can try reintroducing her normal diet slowly by mixing it in, a little more regular and less bland at each meal.If she continues to not eat well or stops eating well if you try reintroducing her regular dog food she should see her veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care.Please let me know if you have any further questions.