How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 24471
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog (a 60 lb yellow lab ) got into a bag of organic fertilzer. it

Customer Question

my dog (a 60 lb yellow lab ) got into a bag of organic fertilzer.
it contains Hydrolized Feather meal
pasterurized poultry manure
bone meal
alfalfa meal
greensand
humates
sulfate of potash
sulfate of potash magnesia
is any of that toxic
she is not eating today she seemed fine last night for several hours only showed symptoms today
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
The organic fertilizers aren't considered serious toxins but certainly can cause gastrointestinal distress as evidenced by inappetence, vomiting, and diarrhea. There's no specific antidote and treatment is supportive and symptomatic. I recommend enforcing a 24 hour fast but not limiting water intake. Administering an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) at a dose of 0.25 mg/lb twice daily or omeprazole (Prilosec) at a dose of 20 mg daily should afford Rox some comfort.
Here's a more thorough review for you. Symptoms that might appear include the following:
Nausea
Drooling
Vomiting
Diarrhea
Bloody vomit
Lethargy
Abdominal pain
Bloat
Pancreatitis
Many pet owners often attempt to be more “organic” in an attempt to keep their dogs and cats safe. However, certain types of organic products can be just as poisonous. Gardeners using bone meal, blood meal, or fish meal should be aware of the dangers of these soil amendment products. These meals are designed to naturally increase nitrogen content; unfortunately, they are quite palatable to both dogs and cats when accidentally ingested from the garden or yard.
Blood meal is dried, ground, and flash-frozen blood and contains 12% nitrogen. While it’s a great organic fertilizer, if ingested, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and severe pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). Some types of blood meal are also fortified with iron, resulting in iron toxicity.
Bone meal is made up of defatted, dried, and flash-frozen animal bones that are ground to a powder. Gardeners often use bone meal to dust spring bulbs (to prevent squirrels from ingesting the bulbs). This “bone” is also what makes it so palatable to your dog so make sure to keep your pet from digging in it and ingesting the soil. While this also makes a great organic fertilizer, it can become a problem when consumed in large amounts as the bone meal forms a large cement-like bowling ball foreign body in the stomach – which can cause an obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract – resulting in possible surgery to remove it.
What the above implies is that if Rox remained anorexic for more than 36 hours, it would be prudent to have her abdomen X-rayed to better evaluate what effects her inappropriate ingestion has caused. Testing for pancreatitis is done with the blood test called the specCPL. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.