Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I am a breeder of dachshunds one of my owners dogs has a problem with

Customer Question

I am a breeder of dachshunds one of my owners dogs has a problem with a skin rash on the back a red pimple that get scabby when popped. they did a scraping but nothing came up. She has changed to a grain free kibble and she is still having this problem. she has been on maintenance of steroids every other day and it is not helping. Any help you can give-thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have pictures
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am thinking it could be a staph infection
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
phone number(###) ###-#### ***** is a regular phone line not a cell so I cannot get texts
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Based on the pictures you sent, this looks like a pyoderma (bacterial skin infection) but we cannot rule out that yeast may be present as well. The steroids are most likely decreasing her immune response and ability to resolve this. Is she itchy in those areas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no itching
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
If there is a skin infection, they usually do cause the skin to itch, but the steroids are likely masking the itch. What she needs is an exam by your veterinarian so that these things can be ruled out and the proper medicine may be prescribed. If a skin cytology is performed, the bacteria or yeast will be visible under a microscopic exam of some of the surface cells. If there is an infection, she will need at least 3 weeks of an oral antibiotic or oral anti-fungal. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help and certainly won't hurt. An antiseptic shampoo from the pet store can decrease the bacteria and yeast if they are present. I like the product called Hexedene® because it contains chlorhexidine which is effective on bacteria and yeast. There is also a "leave-on" product called Resi-chlor® with similar ingredients that can be used on the lesions themselves and in some cases, may be all that is needed.