Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Boarded, licensed, and accredited veterinarian. Interests: general medicine, ophthalmology (eyes).
76915428

I have a new Llewelyn Setter pup. She's only 7-8 weeks old

Customer Question

I have a new Llewelyn Setter pup. She's only 7-8 weeks old & I've had her 3 days. I noticed last night her belly is really pink. Also, I left her outside for a couple of hours in the fenced back yard with our beagle. Much to my dismay, she had climbed into my raised flower bed and pulled daylilly leaves out...
I gave her raw goats milk. She played inside with no issues but didn't eat a lot last night or this morning. she did however vomit undigested food immediately after eating this morning. I left her kenneled while I'm at work and my husband will be home shortly after lunch to check on her. Do you think the lily's may have caused the redness? She doesn't seem to be scratching and she slept well last night and was playful this morning. I'm 60 and have never seen this or had a pup get into the flower bed prior... I'll have to fence it until she learns.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What other measures should I take to make certain there are no ill effects from the lilly's?
Expert:  Vet_Dr.Drea replied 1 year ago.
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you! Though several species of lilies can be quite dangerous to some pets (particularly cats), Daylilies are not generally toxic to dogs and should not cause her any harm other than maybe some mild gastrointestinal signs (from eating something her system isn't used to). The redness on her belly could be a wide variety of things- including some mild allergies to grass that she may have been laying in while outside. If the redness appears blotchy, they may be bug bites. I would not worry too much about this unless it does not resolve over the next few days, becomes worse, starts to bother her, develops an odor or discharge, or begins looking dark or crusty. If any signs such as those develop I would have her rash evaluated by her veterinarian. Lastly, I would recommend discontinuing the goat's mild. Once dogs are switched to dog food, they no longer need milk, and many become lactose intolerant. Additionally, raw milk can have bacteria that can make them sick. This may be the cause of her vomiting (as could be the lilies). At this point I would monitor her closely and if her rash shows the signs above, she stops eating, starts acting sick (lethargic, dull eyes, poor appetite, etc), or continues to vomit, I would have her seen by her vet. From the sounds of things however, she will likely be just fine and is simply suffering the consequences of her puppy curiosity! Thank you for your question and I hope you find this information useful! Feel free to respond with additional questions and when you are satisfied with my answer please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time. Have a great day! Dr. Drea
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your assistance. The redness isn't blotchy or raised. She definitely loves rubbing her little belly in the grass and that may very well be the issue as she was kept in a kennel with dirt floors and straw/hay. I wouldn't have worried about the vomiting since the food was undigested and she was active except for knowing that she'd chewed up those plants..... she is going to be a chewer and a challenge for a few week while training her, but we all know it's so worth it in the end :-)
You are very welcome! She sounds like an adorable bundle of trouble! Those kinds of pups truly are always worth it :) If she likes to rub in the grass and comes up with a pink belly from it, you could consider giving her some benadryl to help with that when it happens (if you provide her weight I'd be happy to calculate a dose for you), but if it doesn't seem to bother her I wouldn't worry too much about it. Best,Dr. D
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's 4.5 lbs
What a peanut! She can get 5-10mg up to every 6 hours as needed. If that small amount is hard to dose, you can crush the pill, divide it up as needed, and then add it to water (to squirt in her mouth) or a little food. I hope that helps!
Hello!
I am just following up- how is Ani doing?
Best!
Dr. D
*Thank you for your question! Please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time and do not hesitate to respond with additional questions!*

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ani. How is everything going?

Vet_Dr.Drea