Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our 4 1/2 y.o. Male Australian Shepherd developed 1" abscesses

Customer Question

Hi our 4 1/2 y.o. Male Australian Shepherd developed 1" abscesses ,about 20 in all, which are draining sero sanguinous fluid he is in hospital all vets are baffled. We are desperate!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about your dog. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I don't want to recommend anything that has already been done or tried, so it will help to know what your veterinarians have done so far. Have any of these abscesses been biopsied, cultured, or examined microscopically? What medications have been used so far?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, they have been biopsied, and cultured, and examined. at the moment we have no answers....we are awaiting the info. It started Tuesday, and it is only Friday......I was just hoping for an "Aha" moment from someone on the outside.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
If this were my own dog, I would be doing exactly that: culture and biopsy. That really is the only way to know what any lump or bump is. It could be bacterial, fungal, allergic, autoimmune and these tests should tell you which one.
If he is at Angel Memorial, with all those specialists, he is getting the best of care. That is one of the places we general practitioners go to, or consult with, for our tough cases.
Let me know what you find out and if I can help with anything else.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome! Let me know what you find out.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Claire,
How is Jackson doing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rebecca, He is on the mend, thank goodness. they diagnosed him with Pyogranulomatous Panniculitis , and he is on an antibiotic for a 2@ infection, and a steroid for the condition. He is still draining, but should be able to come home in a few days. What a week! Thanks for your help. Claire

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.
Hope he is home soon. Thanks for the update.