Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Is ivomec a safe way to prevent heartworms in my pomeranian? Al

Customer Question

Is ivomec a safe way for me to prevent heartworms in my pomeranian? Also what is the correct dose in cc for a dog weighing 9lbs? I have always used this method with all my other poms with no problems. I never gave them more than half cc. Please help me to decide the right method for me and Lulu
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Ivomec would not be a safe way to prevent heartworms in a Pomeranian; it is not recommended. It is difficult to dose a small dog with cattle wormer! A 9 pound dog needs about 25 to 30 mcg of ivermectin monthly to prevent heartworms. 1/2 of a cc of Ivomec is 5000 mcg.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You can't use water to dilute it; it is oily and does not mix with water.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have decided to take Lulu to my vet. I expect a full refund immediately as I have reviewed your answer and do not intend to. STOP TEXTING AND EMAILING ME.