Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 7 year old spayed female Miniature Pincher is having breathing

Customer Question

My 7 year old spayed female Miniature Pincher is having breathing problems. She has little energy. She is currently lying on her side in our bed. She does shallow panting for several moments and then sounds normal (no noise) for several moments. She keeps repeating the shallow panting and normal breathing.
She's been showing signs of difficulty in being able to jump on to the couch/chair. She lines up and hesitates numerous times. Usually will not make the jump
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has she had these signs?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?
Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Did her vet prescribe these after seeing her like this?
Was any testing (ie xray, bloods, etc) done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last couple of days.
39 breaths per min.
Gums are pink
vet has not seen her like this.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Sadie.
Her breathing rate while laying down is higher then it should be (normal is ~20-30bpm). As well, the periods of panting is highly suspicious of her trying to get more oxygen in, so she can breathe normally for a time (and it repeats as oxygen levels are used up). And while I am relieved to hear that her gums are pink (since paling is often a sign that her oxygen levels are dangerously low and an emergency when seen), I am concerned that she may need to breath this quickly and reduce her activity (which reduces how much oxygen she needs to use) to just keep herself stable. And just to note, this could have been progressing for a wee while and be partly what has caused her to struggle with jumping/activity.
With all this in mind, with these situations, we do have some serious concerns to consider. The most common causes for respiratory compromise like this is issues involving the heart, the lungs, the circulation and red blood cell levels (the presence of anemia). Disease of each can manifest in this way and have the very serious potential for progressing and worsening until they cannot breathe quick enough to keep themselves going.
In this case, as long as her gums are pink and she remains stable, you can monitor her until her vet is open. Otherwise, if this changes or she is really looking uncomfortable or tiring, then we need to think about having her seen sooner. At the very least, she may need to be put on oxygen to let her breathe easier. Once she is more stable, her vet can listen to her heart/lungs +/- xray to see what is compromising her breathing. Depending on which organ is affected, they can advise on which medications would be appropriate (ie medication to aid heart function, bronchodilators for the lungs, steroids for asthma, etc) to manage the trigger for her breathing compromise and get her breathing better for us.
So, these are our concerns for what you are seeing with Sadie. Therefore, with her down and still breathing heavily, we need to tread with care. So, we would want her seen as soon as her vet is open (or sooner if she becomes any worse) to help us identify which issue is present and take steps to help address this and get her back to normal for you.
In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ -or-
www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sadie. How is everything going?

nekovet