Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My German short hair started having seizures monthly. We are

Customer Question

My German short hair started having seizures monthly. We are now awake and he is constantly liking the carpet and pacing
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want a refund. This question was not answered
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to see you did not get an expert to help you before now, and sorry to hear you are worried about Max. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help, if you still want help. I can (or you can) submit a request to the moderators for a refund, or I can help you with Max if you like. I will be online for about 2 hours now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Max started with seizures about 8 months ago. They are sporatic. He had one 2 nights ago. Last night he was whining and pacing. I brought him down stairs because I thought he was going to have a seizure. He continuously liked the carpet, furniture and tried to eat my hair. I gave him Valium at 3 am because he was panting and having labored breathing. His abdomen does not feel distended and is not sore to touch. He did drink water. He went out and ate grass before I could stop him. He threw up and still continued licking everything. He just layed down. He also is drooling alot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, licking his lips alot
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. Seizures can be caused by many things; epilepsy, liver disease, low thyroid, infections like meningitis. Did the Valium help at all?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
This episode of drooling, licking, and eating grass sounds more like nausea than a seizure, however.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Valium did not help. I volunteer at a wildlife rehab, could I have brought something home that he is not vaccinated for.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
That is possible, but not likely. Raccoons do carry a parasite that can make dogs sick, but I don't see how you could bring home that parasite without getting sick yourself.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I would treat him with nausea medication like famotidine (Pepcid), or an injection of Cerenia. If that did not help, I would consider blood tests and an Xray.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help and answering my question. He is going in for a complete workup
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. Let me know what you find out, and how he is doing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Max was put on phenobarbital twice a day. He definitely has some neurological deficits. The Vet felt alot of his issues stem from his recent seizure activity. The blood work will be in tomorrow. Xray showed a major amount of gas, so I will keep a close eye on him the next few days. Thank you so much for your response and for caring for the animals
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.