Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Over the last 6 months we have noticed our 11 year old border

Customer Question

Over the last 6 months we have noticed our 11 year old border collie has been confused more often. The last two weeks he will not eat for a day or day and a half, become very weak. He will eat and then perk up. Today he decided not to eat again and now he wont walk. He will drink water and move all of his limbs. He is afraid of the vet so if this is just a natural progression I would rather he pass at home where we are here to love on him not in the office where he is afraid.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He does not appear to be in any discomfort.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he just stood up (very wobbly) and is eating again.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm necessarily constrained to tell you why he's behaving in the manner you described. I would need to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and perhaps imaging in the form of X-rays and ultrasound to get to the bottom of his confusion, inappetence, and weakness.
His prognosis is certainly quite guarded because of those symptoms and his age but if he "naturally progresses" to death, it can become quite unpleasant for both him and you. There's usually more than one disorder existing concomitantly in such a patient and some disorders such as chronic renal or hepatic failure can cause seizures and bloody vomiting and diarrhea as my patient worsens.
Please consider having a house-call vet come to him when you feel it's appropriate. You should be able to find such a vet by googling "house call vet" in your area or by looking in your yellow pages. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I will take your advise and find a house call vet.
Sounds good. Please return to our conversation following his appointment if you'd like to continue consulting about him.