Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

11 yr old yorkie\poodle had his rabbies vaccine and two days

Customer Question

11 yr old yorkie\poodle had his rabbies vaccine and two days later is limping andnot using his right rear leg ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can. I am sorry to hear your dog is having this problem. I will need a little more information to help you. Has your dog ever had any reactions to vaccines in the past? Does your dog seem painful when you touch the right rear leg?Is your dog on any medications or have you given any medications since the problem began?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no prior reactions Does not seem painful to touch leg no othermds given
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
I see. This sounds like your dog is painful from the injection. This can be common in small breed dogs due to the relatively large amount of fluid injected. This could also be an adverse reaction to the vaccine (a vaccine reaction). Another potential cause would be a completely unrelated orthopedic injury such as a cruciate tear or due to a luxating patella. Your options are to monitor at home and try to treat the symptoms: pain and inflammation, or have a recheck with your vet. Do you have any dog safe pain medication at home: rimadyl/carprofen, meloxicam/metacam, deramaxx, previcox, gabapentin, or tramadol? Also, how much does your dog weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is 13 pounds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he had some post instructions from the vaccine, baby aspirin every 8 hours. he has had a couple doses a day
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
I see. How much aspirin has he been getting each dose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
81 mg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we will continue to monitor him. thank you!
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like he needs better pain management. Aspirin is fairly weak as far as pain control in dogs. Sometimes aspirin can lead to upset stomach and GI ulceration in dogs, so if you see any vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of appetite you should stop the aspirin. You can add in benadryl and give half of a 25 mg tablet every 8 hours. This should help with some of the reaction you are seeing. If you don't see an improvement within a day or two of starting the benadryl, I would recommend a recheck with your vet so they can give you other pain medication such as NSAIDs like rimadyl, deramaxx, previcox, metacam; or other pain meds such as gabapentin, or tramadol. These tend to be much better at pain control in our dogs. He should have strict rest for the next 2 days: no jumping, no stairs, no time off leash. If he has still not improved in 2 days, I recommend a visit to your vet to make sure nothing else is going on. In the future, he should get a dose of anti-inflammatory and benadryl before getting vaccinated to ensure this does not happen again and he is comfortable. Please let me know if I can help you any further. I wish you both the best. Have a great day!
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. G.