Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a male Siberian/Malamute approx 18 months old. We rescued

Customer Question

I have a male Siberian/Malamute approx 18 months old. We rescued him from a family who told us he had all his shots, yet did not provide any paperwork. He had been doing well, gaining weight, nice short coat, as we live in Calif., so he doesn't grow that thick long hair. The last few weeks, he has started to lose weight, we use Bio-Spot on him monthly, and he still has fleas. He does not leave out yard, which is totally fenced. He is fed Science Diet for dogs 1-2 yrs of age. He has started eating cloth, socks, paper towels, he has chew toys, and dog bones, ie, Milk Bones, he has started throwing up, for no reason. He is listless today, not wanting to play, and he is a very playful dog. His skin is tight on his rear to his hip bone, I had an old Vet tell me once, that was a sure sign of worms in a dog, whenever the skin was tight and not eaisly moved between hip bones. We are both disabled people, and can not afford a huge vet bill, but I can afford a good wormer. I had my husband go out back to check today's stools, we keep yard clean, so we know it was today's stool, and he found a small round worm in our dog stool. Please, help us to help our beloved Chance. Oh, one more thing, he does catch flies, and snails, uck, could these things make him sick? I will be ever so grateful for your advice. Worm him? What wormer? He weighs approx 75-80lbs. Thank you, ***** *****
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question Sharon. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Was the worm like spaghetti or rice?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it was short, approx 1" long , round, light brown
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Sharon, one of the better dewormer for dogs is called Fenbendazole (safeguard, panacur, etc.); you give at label dose once a day for 3 days. Repeat it after 3 weeks. This will treat most of the common intestinal parasites that affects. It only however treats one species of tapeworms. I would also treat him with another dewormer called Praziquantel that treats all of the different types of tapeworms... I am still typing.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
He has a history of fleas, so it is important to treat against tapeworms as he will get tapeworms from the fleas.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You also need to address the flea problem. This is what I would recommend you try:
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Frontline (fipronil), once a month. You can buy the generic over the counter online, walgreen's pharmacy, costco, petco, etc. 2- Capstar pills one every other day for 2 weeks. 3- Treat the home with a product called Fleabusters; this will kill the larva and eggs in the enviornment and it is safe for your dog and family. You can buy this in amazon.com.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
To summarize the deworming: 1- Fenbendazole (panacur, safeguard) given once a day for 3 days; repeat after 3 weeks. 2- Praziquantel, given once at label dose. You can buy both dewormer in amazon.com without a prescription.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also my dog, who is usually a ball of energy, is just laying around, not wanting to play or do anything. He is drinking plenty of water, but not eating. He is sleeping a lot, these are concerns for me
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Is this the same dog?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sharon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chance. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter