Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

What causes pet dog to have dry heaves

Customer Question

What causes pet dog to have dry heaves
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.
Dogs can dry heave for the same reasons we do. This main causes are nausea from GI upset (even if its not enough to make them vomit), irritation/inflammation within the esophagus (the connection between the mouth and stomach), or within the trachea (the upper airway). As well, we can see this related to something caught in the thoat, but that is much less common. So, we can see retching due to the GI but it can also be a feature when dogs have a severe sore throat such that it causes coughing and sensitivity to the both parts of the throat lading to the heave.
With all this in mind, if we have dry heaving in coughing dogs, then using throat soothing treatment (ie honey, dog safe cough syrup, dog safe anti-inflammatories( can be of benefit. Or if we have nausea or esophagitis, the use of antacids and bland diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, or scrambled egg) can help soothe that too. Of course, if severe, then we sometimes need to bypass their mouth and use injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle this for them.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )