Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My dog has infected anal glands. He is6 years old and this

Customer Question

My dog has infected anal glands. He is6 years old and this has been a problem for 5 years. Can I give hon 500mg of amoxicillin
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help. So normally, we do not use amoxicillin for skin or anal gland issues. It is not effective on the bacteria that infect the skin and anal glands.
Cephalexin, Baytril, or Clavamox are better options.
The dose for amoxicillin is 50 mg per 10 pounds of dog.
So a 50 pound dog would take 250 mg of amoxicillin every 12 hours for example.
If he were 100 pounds, 500 mg would be the right dose for him.
You can go to the drug store and buy a syringe, betadine liquid (in the first aid aisle), and neosporin. Put the betadine in the syringe and add water so it's half betadine and half water. Flush the wound 3-4 times. Dry it and then apply neosporin. Do that twice a day.
Holding a warm wet washcloth on the area for 10 minutes twice a day will help bring the infection to the surface and increase blood flow.
How does that sound?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would we get the correct anti biotic without having to visit our vet? Steeler had this problem often and taking him to the vet each fine is costly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
If he has been at the vet recently, you can call them and ask for a script.Usually though, in both animal and human medicine, antibiotics can not be prescribed unless the patient is examined in person.You can not buy antibiotics over the counter.I would take him to the vet and try to figure out the underlying cause. It is often food allergy or some other kind of allergy.You could also have his anal glands removed surgically. That would be more expense at one time but once they anal glands are out, they can not cause any more trouble. So that is another option. Your vet can give you a quote for surgical removal of anal glands.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Steeler. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby