Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 2 year old female lab mix started licking herself after

Customer Question

My 2 year old female lab mix started licking herself after each urination yesterday.
Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question.My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Where is she licking, her vulva?2- Is she urinating more frequently?3- Is the area red or sore?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

she is licking her vulva. Not red or swollen. no increase in urine or frequency.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, an occasional licking of her vulva to groom herself is normal. If she is doing it excessively this can an indication of either a urinary tract infection or vaginitis (inflammation of the vagina). The fact that she is not showing any other symptoms it could be an indication of vaginitis if she is doing it excessively. This is what you can do:
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to make it worst. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at her vulva. 2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day for 5-7 days. 3- If no significant improvement after doing the above follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and urinalysis as initial screening test. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter