Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My friend told me that my dog has a hematoma?(spelling?) in

Customer Question

My friend told me that my dog has a hematoma?(spelling?) in his left ear, what is that exactly and what has to be done to fix it. Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.
A hematoma in the ear also known as an "Aural Hematoma." This when the pinnae (floppy part of the ear) becomes filled with blood secondary to damage to the vessels as a result of any form of trauma. It sounds like he damaged the vessels shaking his head as a result of the fox tail.
Treatment involves draining the blood and leaving a drain in place for the blood to drain. If the hematoma is not treated the body will eventually reabsorb the blood but the ear may become disfigured (cauliflower like). It is also important to remove the foxtail and address any underlying infection in the ear canal. Unfortunately these are procedures that can only be done by a veterinarian. Highly recommend having family vet take a look at their dog's ear for the above treatment.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!