Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My dog was quite agitated yesterday reason.

Customer Question

my dog was quite agitated yesterday for no reason.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Hershey. I'm so sorry he isn't doing well, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I have provided and are able to give me a positive rating.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
It had to be pretty upsetting to see Hershey so agitated with no apparent reason for it. Is he otherwise healthy and on no medications?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
And have there been any other symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss, or changes in drinking or going to the bathroom habits?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
While I wait for you to type in the answers to those questions and to let me know what your specific question is, I'll type in the following... It goes without saying that body language is HUGE with our dogs; it's the only way they can let us know what's going on. So paying attention to and interpreting your dog's behavior is an important way to communicate with him. When a dog is agitated for no apparent reason, the most common causes are pain or discomfort from things that aren't necessarily visible to the naked eye. This can include things like anal gland pain, back pain, belly pain, or skin irritation.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
When there are no other symptoms like pawing at the mouth, licking, chewing, vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss, or lameness, etc., it can be very difficult to narrow in on the source of the problem. When that happens, I consider these two facts...1. Whatever the problem is, it must be relatively mild, otherwise there would be other symptoms. 2. If the agitation persists, it's definitely worth a veterinary exam in order to have a professional opinion on the nature of the agitation.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
To be on the safe side, only AFTER a thorough physical exam and any necessary diagnostic tests have been performed is it safe to assume the agitation isn't due to an actual physical problem, but just a BEHAVIORAL one. A dog might act agitated from something stressful, scary, or anxiety-provoking, and it's important to remember that this doesn't necessarily have to make sense to us. After all, Hershey can hear and smell things you cannot.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
In the case of this being a behavioral issue, the best plan of action is to carry on with your normal habits and activities. As things settle back into their normal routine, Hershey will find this comforting and will be inclined to return to his normal habits. If you are upset and anxious about his behavior, busily trying to "find out" what the problem is, he is likely to respond with more anxiety because you are clearly sending a signal to him that there is something to be upset about. Dogs are very empathetic. Especially a smart dog like a 9-year-old schnauzer.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
It appears you are still offline. I sorry I missed my chance to have a live chat with you. Please rest assured you may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or type in more. I will be notified of your reply via email and will do my best to help. That is my goal... to provide you with the information you're looking for. I fell a little at a loss because you didn't specify exactly what your question is, so if I've missed the point and still need to give you some additional information, please let me know when you come back online. If you're satisfied with the information I've provided so far, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer so I may receive compensation for helping you. If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance. Thank you for using our website.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please stop texting me.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I apologize, but I don't understand. I am not texting you. You paid money to have a question answered online. Did you wish to contact customer service for a refund?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For some reason every time you type an answer it is also sent to my phone, which does not have a way to respond. Thanks for the information I will take him to the vet this weekend.
Your seem to be a nice doctor, but this communication system is crazy.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Many apologies. I'm so sorry that is happening. I'm also sorry for sending one last message which will make your phone go off again, but without closing up this chat I am not able to take new questions.
Please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and rate my response to exit the chat.
Again, I'm sorry for the problems.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hershey. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo