Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has not drunk water days

Customer Question

my dog has not drunk water for 2 days
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Is she eating?
2- Any other symptoms?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is eating, I cut back on food and she wants more. She is usually very active. About 3 days ago, she was sluggish and is more active now, but just not herself. She may have eaten some food kids throw over the fence.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Can you expand on how she is not herself?
2- Can you open her mouth and make sure there is nothing stuck under the tongue, gums, teeth, etc.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
usually the minute I get up she is behind me. Now she is slow to follow me around.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this an emergency?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, a decrease in water intake or appetite is a very non specific symptom to an underlying medical problem. There are many different conditions that will affect a dog's appetite. Anything from dental disease to infections or even part of a systemic disease are all possible. It is also important to remember that they also get water from their food.
I would recommend you offer her low sodium chicken broth to get her to drink. In addition, I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian to make sure she does not have an underlying medial problem affecting her appetite/water intake. If she is still eating this is not an emergency.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Edde,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Media Noche. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter