Neal Forman
Neal Forman,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Alicia Pet Care Center
59551217

My senior yorkie has been scratching/biting/licking her

Customer Question

Hi. My senior yorkie has been scratching/biting/licking her back, as far as she can reach. I looked and there are little red bumps or patches sporadically. I've been giving her 1/2 benedryl and it seems to help. But I just looked at her because she's not been scratching and it's about 4" long down her back and actually "open" and very red. She has lost a little hair here and there, but not really clumps or a lot. I'm thinking she needs an antibiotic at the least. I don't think it's fleas because I can't find any on her or my corgi/terrier mix...
Thank you!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Neal Forman replied 2 years ago.
HiIf your pet is scratching and biting at the rump region it is possible that it is some type of allergy. One of the many allergies that can cause her to bite or itch is fleas. Even though you don't see any flea on her its possible that the flea has already bit her and jumped off into the environment. Fleas do not necessarily need to live on your pet. They are just the meal ticket. You may want to have her seen by your regular veterinarian to see if she needs any antibiotics if the skin is infected by all the scratching but in the meantime you may want to consider putting her on regular flea control. Benadryl may help to cause less itching in a temporary fashion. It is generally safe to give her. Let me know if you have additional questions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!
Anytime, are there any additional questions or concerns? If I can be any other assistance let me know

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Neal Forman