Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I took my dog running and he cut his pad. part of it is hanging

Customer Question

I took my dog running and he cut his pad. part of it is hanging but not bleeding. Does he need stitches or something? He is walking on it but with a limp. I have been putting Neosporin on it, tried to bandage it up but that didn't last long.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
I don't typically suture pad lacerations. The pads don't hold sutures well, and they typically heal up pretty well on their own. I'll usually just put some topical antibiotic ointment on and a light foot wrap. I use a couple gauze squares and then some elastic wrap on the foot. I change the bandage every 24 hours until it's healed.
You may need to go get some elastic wrap to help bandage it. It is something that you can just manage from home, though.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.