Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I am desperate. My dog is riddled with cancer and is inso much

Customer Question

I am desperate. My dog is riddled with cancer and is inso much pain and i need to euthanise him asap. I am isolated on the Nullabor with access to Morphine. What dosage can i give my 40kg dog for him to pass comfortably.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I'm sorry to hear about your dog.
Unfortunately, there is not really a way to euthanize with Morphine. Dogs don't really get the respiratory depression like we see in people that can lead to death. In dogs, we get GI side effects- vomiting, diarrhea.
I would be more apt to just give 20 mg every 8-12 hours to keep him as comfortable as possible.
The only humane euthanasia method to use at home, is a properly placed gunshot to the head/ brain. I would never recommend that somebody shoot their dog, but that is the only humane alternative to euthanasia solution (Sodium Pentobarbital).