Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Why Does my poodle chew himself when he doesn't have fleas

Customer Question

Why Does my poodle chew himself when he doesn't have fleas and is clean?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. How long has Ferb been doing this?You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took Ferb in from a neighbor 3years ago. He has been doing this for most of the 3 years. I found out from my landlord that Ferb was abused by the previous owner and that is why he was given to me Beause the landlord evicted them over the situation.
Hello again and thanks for waiting. Sorry to learn Ferb is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... While I cannot be sure of his diagnosis via the internet I can make the following general comments based on my past experience of a great many such cases over the years. Basically if you exclude simple things like fleas then you are often left with a diagnosis of Atopy { atopic dermatitis }, this is a form of allergic dermatitis. This is actually a very common condition in dogs so I will tell you some more about it and what causes it ...1. I know that you do not see fleas on Ferb but I will cover this point anyway. Some cases of atopy are due to an allergy to a small protein in the saliva of the flea which the flea passes when it bites. Stringent flea control is a must not only on your dog but in the house as well whether you see fleas or not. Where a dog is hypersensitive only a couple of bites may be enough to trigger a massive skin reaction, it is good practice to really control fleas properly whatever skin condition your dog is suffering from.2. It can also be an allergy to components of the diet so consider a special hypo allergenic diet, your vet will advise and will stock these but you can also get them from better pet stores. If you go down this road your dog will have to be fed only this and water and it may take six weeks for this approach to show any signs of success. You have to feed you dog on something so it may as well be one of these special sensitive skin diets.3. Other allergies are more difficult such as to pollen or house dust mites,because you can never get rid of the actual allergen these dogs can be maintained on a variety of drugs such as antihistamines steroids or atopica.If this is the type of disease you are dealing with then if you stop the drugs the disease will often come straight back so often a low maintenance dose is given once symptoms have been controlled. Antibiotics and antifungal drugs may also be needed in the early stages because of secondary infections which often occur in more long standing cases.4. Other treatment for skin allergies are possible such as desensitisation. While atopy is the most likely diagnosis be aware that there are other possibilities so sometime further diagnostic tests such as skin biopsy can be useful. 5. The bot***** *****ne? : The sort of skin condition I have described is often difficult and demanding even for experienced vets to deal with and prescription drugs may well be of benefit so having a vet check him over and getting treatment started on the right track is probably your best bet.Where a visit to the vet is not possible for whatever reason then I have known owners control the situation with flea control, plus a hypo-allergenic diet from a better pet store plus and antihistamine such as Benadryl, more info HERE I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Ferb is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his skin problem.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ferb. How is everything going?