Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My old 12 yr Collie is panting all the time she did vomit but

Customer Question

my old 12 yr Collie is panting all the time she did vomit but is still eating she has problems with her back legs she doesn't seem in pain I had some of her ear infection antibiotics and she seems to be picking up now but still panting I cleaned out her ears
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. I'm sorry the expert you requested appears to be unavailable right now. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
If she is still collapsed and unable to get up with increased difficulty breathing, then this is a medical emergency and you need to haver seen right away. No waiting. If you say she collapsed and is now moving but not paralyzed (maybe she has long-term joint issues), then perhaps the vomit was related to antibiotic administration which can easily cause upset stomach. If the vomit was before then this could be related to the cause of the panting.
There are certainly many possible underlying causes for the panting. Pain is an absolutely good first thought. Pain could come from many sources ranging from the ears to neck/back to abdomen (especially with the vomiting). Alternatively, then panting may not have to do wit pain but a primary lung/heart problem, or it could be due to a medical condition such as Cushing's syndrome. IF she is on an oral corticosteroid (e.g., prednisone, medrol) then this can lead to increased panting.
If there is no improvement in her panting overnight, then I must recommend you have her examined tomorrow, primarily because one of our worries is a heart or lung condition. The sooner something like that is identified and treated, the better her outlook.
I wish I had an easy at-home solution for you. I think it fine to treat an existing ear infection but recommend you not give the oral antibiotic or other oral medication prior to her being seen by her veterinarian as there could be something significant going on. We do not want to further upset her digestive tract. Perhaps try tempting her to eat some bland food such as white rice and boiled chicken breast to help settle her stomach.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.