Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a standard poodle 2 1/2 yrs. yesterday he vomited.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a standard poodle 2 1/2 yrs. yesterday he vomited. It appeared to be just bile. He was lethargic all day, didn't eat and I had a hard time getting any water down him. He was repeatedly salivating like he was nauseated. Today, he feels better - ate a little and drank. But I'm concerned because his nose is dry, and crusted - not wet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned because even though your fellow is feeling better today after vomiting bile, drooling and not eating and drinking yesterday his nose remains dry and crusted today.
I suspect that his nose is a little chapped from all the drooling and vomiting yesterday. It is not uncommon for dogs that are vomiting forcefully to have some vomit make its way out of the nose too, and bile is very irritating to mucous membranes.
He also is still a bit dehydrated from all of his drooling and vomiting yesterday.
I would clean his nose gently with a mix of a little antibacterial hand soap and warm water to remove any loose crusty debris, then pat dry and apply a little vaseline or the liquid from a punctured vitamin E capsule to seal in moisture.
Push fluids today by offering ice cubes to lick, low salt beef or chicken broth to drink and adding warm water or low salt broth to all of his meals today. The more fluids he takes in the better.
His nose should normalize over the next 3-4 days.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.