Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I am raising 3 orphans pHi i am raising 3 orphans puppies.

Customer Question

Hi i am raising 3 orphans pHi i am raising 3 orphans puppies. I lost already 3 : ( they were 6. Then the 3 i have 1 boy 2 girls are reaching the 5th week. I have some questions since i am seeing at Vet but this is not my country neither language so is difficult for me get all answers.
1. I started the transition from milk to food this week (4th week) I am lost in the portions for them daily. They seems hungry all the time I'm giving them 3 times a day food ( 15gr for each, each time) and 2 times milk. 50 ml milk each one each time and they keep crying for a while
2. The boy got fungus in his nose. Is taking anti fungus 0.2 ml twice a day since almost 2 weeks... Is getting better and never lost appetite and is very active. It suppose in 3 days finish the anti fungus . He was separated from her sisters. But today i noticed drops of pink pee. So could be UTI? And with anti fungus will not be to much treat infection now? Could be other reason for pink pee? Cause in the room of the girls i notice in the pee pads also some pink pee but no sure for which one. So 2 puppies that are separated can have same infection? What could be the cause of UTI?
Thanksuppies.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your questions weren't answered in a timely manner. I'll address them as you presented them...
When weaning pups, it's best to allow them to eat as much as they want to. Should any pup gorge itself to the point of abdominal distention, however, you'll now that that pup does need to have his intake restricted. Milk isn't necessary and might cause gastrointestinal distress in any event. These pups become lactose-intolerant quickly as they mature. I don't know the caloric density of the puppy food to which you're weaning them, but there should be directions on the food label which will guide you on how much food should be offered throughout the day.
I need you to clarify "fungus in his nose". I can understand fungus on the skin of his nose (ringworm) but a systemic fungus inside his nose is unlikely. I also need to know which drug was prescribed, please.
Pink pee/blood in the urine (hematuria) does usually indicate a juvenile bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI). This is usually addressed with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as potentiated amoxicillin which can be given concomitantly with an anti-fungal drug. Therapy should extend 7-10 days. This isn't a contagious infection. Puppies can be immunodeficient; in other words, their immune system isn't fully developed yet and so infections of the urinary tract and skin are relatively common at this age.
Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.