Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I took my dog hiking and she ran so much her front center paw pad have warn down. she has

Customer Question

I took my dog hiking and she ran so much her front center paw pad have warn down. she has open pink areas on each front center pad. she licks it constantly and it hurts her when she walks. how do i treat this? Thoughts?
Submitted: 1 year ago via Vet.com.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now as long as there is no gaping would here, we'd just want to prevent her licking (since this is going to introduce bacteria into the raw skin) and start supportive care for Sella. Typically, these lesions will heal and granulate on their own if we can prevent infection.
With this in mind, we can start by bathing this raw region with a mild anti-septic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, betadine, salt water). This can be done 2-3 times daily and then gently patted dry. Afterwards, you can apply a thin layer of OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin) to aid healing and prevent infection.
Otherwise, as I noted, no licking allowed. Therefore, she may need an e-collar for the short term. Otherwise, we would want to cover the foot with a sock. This will provide a barrier between her foot and the ground, yet is breathable so it will aid the foot in drying out and healing (as opposed to a bandage that would lock in moisture and encourage this to fester). Further to this, she will need to be rested for at least the next week. So, only lead walks to the garden to do her business and back in. And to keep her sock and foot dry, you can put a baggie or something similar over this foot when she is out.
Finally, if she is very sore, then we'd need to think about speaking to her vet about pain relief. Ideally, we'd want to use a dog safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam, Onsior, Previcox, Rimadyl, etc). You can consider a low dose of Aspirin (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx) but this often is a poor pain relief for them and would prevent you from using any of the others should she need them.
Overall, wearing of the pad usually will heal without major intervention. Therefore, we'd want to start the above supportive care and monitor at this stage. Of course, if she is very sore or this becomes pus-y or swollen; then we'd need her vet to dispense dog safe anti-inflammatories +/- antibiotics to settle this and continue to aid her in healing her foot.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Stacy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sella. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is doing great. And walking much better today. Thank you for your concern and advice.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome and thank you for the update,
I am glad to hear that Sella is on the mend and doing well. :)
Take care & have a great day,
Dr. B.
*Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.* IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)