Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I just rescued a dog they think is about 5 yrs old, maybe part

Customer Question

I just rescued a dog they think is about 5 yrs old, maybe part Border Collie, part black lab. He has a patch of fur on his lower back that is short compared to the rest and has dandruff but it doesn't seem to bother him, should I try an oatmeal bath first?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
An oatmeal bath should be soothing but when you see skin changes in the saddle area - the lower back - a flea saliva allergy should be your first consideration. I would follow the oatmeal bath with a topical flea spot-on such as the over the counter Advantage, Frontline, or one of the newer prescription topicals available from your vet.
I have to assume that Flyer has nibbled the hair in that area short and irritated the skin to the point that it has become dandruffy. If you notice more of that behavior, a vet can prescribe a short course of a corticosteroid such as prednisone which will break up the allergy to flea saliva.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.