Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

I am thinking of getting a Labrador puppy, but I live in a

Customer Question

I am thinking of getting a Labrador puppy, but I live in a fourth floor apartment with no elevator. Is this going to be too hard on puppy's hips and other joints? I can carry pup up to thirty pounds, but that will get here fast.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** Thank you for your question. It will not be too hard on your puppy's hip and joints to be doing the 4 sets of stairs. Once he is too heavy to be carried, he will need to learn to do them on his own. Puppies too young and small are often afraid of stairs, but once he is able to overcome the fear, he will not be held back by his body. I would be much more concerned if he was older -- over 7 years -- as then it is hard on their joints as they age. I would have him/her on a large breed puppy food to have the proper calcium/phosphorus balance for his/her growth needs. Please let me know if you have further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Emily