Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog was a 7 year old cockapoo who had a welt growing on

Customer Question

my dog was a 7 year old cockapoo who had a welt growing on his rectum..my vet felt a growth inside of it that was moveable. He wanted to remove it...did bloodwork came back normal and xray came back normal. Wound up when he opened my dog up...that pocket was urine building up and his bladder was shifted from a tumor to the opposite side of his body and the urethera was cut off from his penis causing the urine to fill in his body..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry to hear about what happened to your Cockapoo; that is certainly an unusual finding. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
What happened next; what did your vet do when he found the urethra was cut off? How is he doing now?
How can I help you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he couldn't get a catherter in him it went in and then up to the tumor and to outside the bladder. his penis was cut off from everything. He said he couldn't survive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can blood work come back normal and he have a cancer like this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he appeared to be a normal healthy dog, eating and playing. When my vet put his finger in his rectum and felt something moveable....could that pressure cause the tumor to rip apart his urethera?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I agree, a dog really can't survive with the urethra not attached to the bladder. In a person, they would suture the bladder or kidneys to a urine bag outside the body that you would have to empty, like a colostomy bag for urine.
Blood tests tell us a lot, but not everything. If his kidneys and liver were working normally, all the kidney and liver values on the blood tests would be normal. Blood tests do not tell us if an animal has cancer. I have seen many dogs with tumors and cancer have normal blood tests.
It is possible that the urethra had just torn from the bladder, that manipulations during his exam and surgery caused the rupture. However, that would mean that the urethra was weakened and fragile and about to tear. A normal urethra would never tear just from your vet feeling the growth from inside the rectum. If it tore then, it was diseased and weakened.
I am sorry that this happened to your dog. What did your vet do? Was he put to sleep?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he couldn't move his bladder back to where it belonged and couldnt get a catheter in him. He told me he couldn't survive like this and would be toxic from filling up with his urine. He was put to sleep...did I make the right decision?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is what I would have done if he were my own dog. My sincere sympathies. He was so young, and I can understand it is hard to believe this happened when he looked so normal and healthy.
My sincere condolences. Let me know how you are doing and what else I can help with or answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im feeling guilty...I promised him hed be ok. We had NO idea it was cancer...my vet thought it was a fatty tumor. If I left him alone he would not have lived much longer would he? My other dog is lost now...I don't know what to do with her. We rescued her 2 1/2 years ago when we put my older dog down and my cockapoo was 4 1/2. We got her because HE was heartbroken and lost and now HE IS gone. I just feel like I let him down...and promised him he would come home that night and I kissed him goodbye only to be sending him to his death.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If you had left him alone, his abdomen would have filled with urine, and then his kidneys would have failed. Then he would have started acting very sick.
I can only imagine how awful you feel: loss, guilt, grief, disbelief. All I can say is that your feelings, though painful, are normal, and that it will get better with time. I think it is worst when they are alive and well one moment, and dead the next; it is really hard to get your mind to accept that reality, that we will never see them again.
I can tell you from my own experience of loss, it will get better, but it will take time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you...Im at least happy to see I made the right choice. Still see his little face full of excitment in the office full of joy and happiness to see me. And then gone just like that. I wish I kept him home...I sent him to his death and feel really bad. I just can't get around the fact that he was running around the night before playing with his toys.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry. My sincere condolences. Let me know how else I can be of help.