Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 10 pound toy poodle ate about 10 canine carry out bacon

Customer Question

My 10 pound toy poodle ate about 10 canine carry out bacon flavor 1 ago she is breathing fast now. But she also is wining bevor I gave her the treats and drying to nest like she is having a false pregnant she had her first period last October and she had a false pregnancy her second period was April and she was fine. She should not have a period now but she act like she is. Her vulva is swollen too. She never been breed
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If her vulva is swollen it's usually under the influence of estrogen. Her whining and nesting, however, does indicate false pregnancy (pseudopregnancy, pseudocyesis) and that indicates that she had also been under the influence of progesterone. When both estrogen and progesterone levels are elevated, pyometra (a syndrome involving an infected uterus) is a significant risk. Her behavior might not be related to ingesting those treats but, instead, be due to uterine pain. Polydipsia (increased thirst) supports the diagnosis of pyometra and I expect to see an elevated white blood cell count in a complete blood count (CBC). An ultrasound of her abdomen might reveal a uterus distended with pus.
It would be prudent to have her vet perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and ultrasound of her abdomen. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.