Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Checking on chronic grumbly, upset tummy problems

Customer Question

Hello, I am checking on chronic grumbly, upset tummy problems that our 3 yr old chihuahua keeps experiencing. What have you tried so far?: Only eats high quality food. No people food, except a little chicken. He seems to get upset, his tummy gurgles, he does not want to go for walks, pees and poops ok, not sure if it is because he is anxious or has an internal issue. Have noticed that it seems to be a sharp, gassy - like pain. He will turn and look at his rear end as if he is scared of it.

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome. I do apologize that my colleagues were unable to assist you while I was away. Still, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Based on his signs and history, it does sound like Bengi has some digestion issues. We can see this with dietary sensitivity (if there is something in his food that he is allergic to), with inflammatory bowel issues, or just due to imbalance in the normal GI microflora.

With all this in mind, when you are faced with one of these episodes, I would advise that you can try to settle his stomach with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are Pepcid (More Info/Dose Here ) or Zantac (More Info/Dose Here). As well, if he is quite gassy, then you can also try Gas x (simethicone). When doing so, we often use a dose of 1mg per pound or their body weight every 6-8 hours as needed. These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

For the longer term and to try to prevent theses painful episodes from happening, you can supplement his diet with activated charcoal. This is available OTC at most pharmacies and can reduce gas and its related stomach discomfort. It comes in a range of preparations from direct additives like BCK granules (LINK) that can be mixed into food. There are also a range of palatable charcoal based biscuits that can help settle the stomach and settle gas (example). Also there are some holistic preparations on the market that might be helpful if gas is involved in his discomfort.

Further to all of this, to rule out and address any underlying gut bacterial microflora imbalance, you can try a GI supportive treatment to see if you can just restore his GI balance. Examples that would be worth using would be GI microflora supports like Fortiflora (More Info) or Pro-Kolin Enterogenic (More Info). They can help restore gut bacteria balance and reduce gas and GI upset that way.

Overall, his signs are quite suggestive of an underlying intermittent digestion upset. With the gas as well, it is quite possible that these signs are secondary to good GI bacteria imbalance. Therefore, we'd want to start the above supportive care to reduce these episodes and the antacids/simethicone to address any that arise. That way we can keep him comfortable while working to prevent future flare-ups for Bengi

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brock,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bengi. How is everything going?

nekovet