Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 17 year old dachshund has a large swollen cyst that is irratated

Customer Question

my 17 year old dachshund has a large swollen cyst that is irratated to say the least and sometimes it bleeds if rubbed wrong..its square in the middle under his chin about an inch back from front of jaw. what if anything can be applied that will stay on and be comfortable for doobie at the same time? just in a terrible location
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
I first need to confirm this has been examined by his veterinarian to ensure this is nothing more than a benign, but irritated sebaceous adenoma-type mass (hair follicle type tumor). If this has not been examined yet by your vet and evaluated, and perhaps it has changed remarkably in the past few weeks, then an evaluation is warranted. This may not be a benign, non-cancerous lesion. The cancerous lesions do not want to heal and really need to be removed ASAP.
If this has been evaluated by his veterinarian and determined to be benign, but then recently became irritated, then these can be tough to contend with in this location. The cure is to discuss surgical removal (and possibly histopathology which is a biopsy) of this mass and have it permanently gone. Or you could discuss cryotherapy to freeze it and ultimately it will fall off; but this takes many weeks and possibly more than one cryotherapy treatment. If neither of these are an option or you would like to avoid removal, then our goal is to try to stop its irritation and clear any secondary infection. I wish I had a wonderful miracle cure for this but these can be tough to treat. I have had some owners find success with topical triple antibiotic products like Neosporin (unclear if you tried this; sounds like you used a spray but you would need the ointment, not spray). Or your veterinarian may be able to prescribe a useful topical like silver sulfadiazine cream. Also, an oral antibiotic will help clear any significant secondary infection that has developed from this constantly being open, bleeding and it being located near the mouth.
Please avoid tape products because as these are removed they will pull of any scab that has been formed. Wrapping probably will not help. It needs to air dry.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.