Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Thank you help. My husband and I agree that she is

Customer Question

Thank you for your help. My husband and I agree that she is just manipulating us - dogs are smart, aren't they. She always has her own food and water in her dish, but won't touch either. So, I should just basically ignore the symptoms, and continue cuddling and loving on her like we normally do - just no more people food. Is that what you would recommend?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, dogs are super smart. They also aren't pulled away by all the distractions and responsibilities we have, so they have a lot of time and energy to trying to train their people. Many dogs are far more interested in training their owners than some people realize.
Yes, I would go ahead and just leave her food and water available to her. I'm 99% sure she'll eventually eat it. If she really *is* sick, time will tell, but in the meantime, please rest assured you will not make her sick by refusing to offer her anything else to eat.
Thank you again for using our website, and please do take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and rate my response.
Good luck with your move!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very happy with the response and the time that it took. I will use this service again.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
So glad I was able to help. Thank you again, and please do not hesitate to ask me if you have additional questions in the future.
It's been my pleasure.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to ask how things are going with Sophie. Have you managed to tough things out long enough for her to decide to eat what is offered, or is she still fighting her war of attrition?
Thank you.