Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My 24 pound dog swallowed one bing cherry is it harmful to him

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 13 year old Dachshund boy who just swallowed one bing cherry. In short - no, this won't cause any issue with your boy Jacob. If he managed to eat a lot of cherries, potentially the pips can cause a problem in that sometimes they break down and release a toxin (cyanide) that can cause a number of issues.
If this was just an ingestion of one cherry, then he will be able to digest the cherry flesh with no issue, and will pass the cherry pip without a problem as well.
With this in mind, there is nothing you have to do! I hope this gives you some peace of mind. Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your boy Jacob. How is he doing now?
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E