Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our 8 yr old male Lhasapoo has started compulsively scooting

Customer Question

Our 8 yr old male Lhasapoo has started compulsively scooting his butt on anything abrasive.
Started with carpet. Now when we walk him he goes for the most gravelly asphalt. Difficult to get him to stop. It's a new behavior. What are possibilities of causes?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting. Thanks for the reply, I have worked out an answer for you, where a dog is scooting on his butt like that there would be three main causes ... 1. It could be he has impacted or infected anal glands. The anal gland is found in the dog and cat and a few other animals but not people. It is in fact the scent gland of the dog and its anatomy consists of two small glands on either side of the anus, very close to it in fact and there is a duct on each one leading to the surface. Sometimes the gland ducts get blocked, pressure builds up and then this is uncomfortable for your dog, if this is the case your dog may be pulling his rear end along the carpet in a motion called " sledging ", since the glands are internal this is the only thing a dog can try and do to relieve things. Your vet will easily be able unblock the glands, this is a very minor procedure carried out in the consulting room and your vet may show you how to do it so you can tackle it yourself in future .2. It can be due to worms, this is quite a common cause as well. Make sure you have wormed your dog with a good broad acting wormer which covers tapeworms as well as round worms, many products just cover round worms but it is the tapeworm which usually makes dogs itchy in the anal area. These meds can normally be bought over the counter at your vet or from better pet stores.3. I sometimes see eczema of the anal area, this can cause irritation as well. Have a look at your dog's anal area and see if it is red or swollen. Your vet may prescribe a cream containing 0.5 - 1.0 % hydrocortisone for this or an antibiotic based product. It normally resolves well. A secondary anal eczema can sometimes set in where the glands are blocked due to the scooting or where tapeworms are the culprit. This is just due to the constant rubbing and irritation. What to do about it? : As a first line of attack you could have your vet check your dog's anal glands, prescribe some suitable worm meds if necessary and give a soothing cream or ointment for any inflamed areas in the anal area. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.