Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My standard poodle has been diagnosed with lyme nephritis.

Customer Question

My standard poodle has been diagnosed with lyme nephritis. She is only 19 months old. The prognosis is not good
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
I am sorry to hear about Stella's illness. Lyme nephritis can be very challenging to treat, and often by the time it is diagnosed, there is significant kidney damage that is typically not reversible.
Subcutaneous fluids alone, are not likely to result in improvement in most cases of Lyme Nephritis. Intravenous fluids, given continuously while in the hospital, for a minimum of 3 days, would be considered the standard for attempting treatment. Ideally, additional measures such as an ultrasound of the kidneys, urine culture, blood pressure management, and others are important if the best possible prognosis is to be aimed for. This all usually entails referral to an internal medicine specialist, if possible.
Sadly, even with the most aggressive care, I have seen many Lyme nephritis cases not do well. It is a condition that is often not responsive to even our best efforts.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michelle,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Stella. How is everything going?
Dr. Drew
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is stable. Eating some and she is drinking water. We just don't know what a sign would be that she is in pain or near death. How long can this illness be?
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the follow up, signs of deterioration would include a loss of appetite, weight loss, becoming lethargic, or vomiting. Any of these would make me worried that the situation is worsening. I would not expect pain to be a part of this process, but certainly feeling "malaise" or flu-like feelings would be expected.