brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

My dog loves her ball and loves fetch, she is a 2 yr old jack

Customer Question

My dog loves her ball and loves fetch, she is a 2 yr old ***** *****. I came home today to find her not wanting to open her mouth to fetch the ball, when I tried to open her mouth she yelped. No signs of any bad teeth and tongue seems normal. Mood now low and when I tried to feed her she could swallow but not screw. Last night she was fine and this morning but when I came home at 3 different story!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
There are several different things that can cause pain opening the mouth. These include MMM (masticatory muscle myositis), an abscess or cellulitis behind the eyeball, or dislocation of the jaw.
The most likely of these in Izzy's case is MMM. I recommend having her evaluated by your local vet. I would start with a physical exam and get a blood sample for testing. While we wait for the testing (2M antibody titer, CBC and serum chemistry), I recommend starting an immune suppressive dose of prednisone to treat for MMM. Treatment usually takes 4-6 months before we can successfully stop medication without recurrence of signs.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Izzy. How is everything going?

Dr. Susan