Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My male boxer is appox. 1 1/2 years old and as of today

Customer Question

hello my male boxer is appox. 1 1/2 years old and as of today 06/16/2015 I notice an open lesion approximately the size of a penny on the back or spine of my dog. He is an inside dog but does go out regularly to run or urinate etc. I can not afford vet bills. is there any thing I can do to help him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Prince. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
This could be some kind of wound or scraping, and if that is what it is, it should heal up in few days to a week. Applying some Neosporin or triple antibiotic to prevent infection may help it heal faster.
Is this lesion itchy to him? If so, then you might also apply some Cortaid or Cortizone 10 ointment.
If the lesion gets larger, instead of smaller, that would worry me. It is possible for cancer to start as an open lesion, but that would be very rare in such a young dog.
Let me know what else I can help with or answer.