Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Several months ago our dog developed a swelling in her right

Customer Question

Several months ago our dog developed a swelling in her right jaw area, with a round of steroids and antibiotics the swelling did subside but not go totally away, we took her back to vet and did another round of steroids and antibiotics vet thought maybe at first a spider bite. Im wondering if its not a thyroid condition and she has not taken a blood test yet. She says to do a biopsy it would take 200 dollars to rule /out cancer and another 700 for a surgery, Id like another opinion The swelling is now mostly huge under her chin looks just like a goiter Would another round of meds help or another type med get the feeling that she really suspects cancer but I have my doubts vet has gone now from spider bite t o cancer all over the place so Im confused I would measure this mass at about 7 inches long and 10 inches wide It has the weight of say a large human breast, the only way being a women I best know to describe so Im not trying to be crude so excuse me for that doc The mass seems to be divided into 2 lumps
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
It sounds like this mass is associated with the sub-mandibular salivary glands. I would wonder if this is a salivary mucocele. This is a swelling of the gland where the gland is diseased and leaks saliva into the surrounding tissue. The treatment of choice for these, is surgical removal.
A needle aspirate of the swelling should give the vet an idea whether it's a mass, a salivary gland, a thyroid tumor or an inflammatory or infectious lump. The cytology read out by a pathologist costs more, and that's likely where the 200 is going.
In the end, I think surgical removal and biopsy is going to be needed. Sometimes we just skip the aspirate and go straight to the removal/ biopsy as it's diagnostic and therapeutic at the same time.
I don't think it's a thyroid mass. Those are rare in dogs, and usually at the midline of the neck halfway from the jaw to the chest.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Belle. How is everything going?