Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I have a Dobi pincher never cut her ears she is 10

Customer Question

hello I have a Dobi pincher never cut her ears she is 10 now and one of her ears is swoolen from the upper-tip to mid way(2in. by maybe half inch) looks like a sack with maybe air I felt it but not to hard cant reely tell she s in no pain. thankyou
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. It sounds like your girl has an ear hematoma. Basically this is where she broke a blood vessel inside of the cartilage of the ear and it bled to form a small placket. Why did this initial ear bleed start, she could have scratched or bumped it. If there is a lot of waxy debris in the war, then an ear infection could have caused her to scratch and cause this. Some can have ear mites as another cause. The best thing to do is to get her to your vet so they can try to identify any underlying cause and then discuss treatment options. Some will be drained and this is enough, but a lot need surgery to put a drain in the hematoma to allow it to heal with the best cosmetic result. Here is a great link on this.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=566
This hematoma won't pop or start to bleed where you can see it. It is all inside in the cartilage layer.