Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Boarded, licensed, and accredited veterinarian. Interests: general medicine, ophthalmology (eyes).
76915428

My overweight pug is urinating very frequently in small

Customer Question

my overweight pug bitch is urinating very frequently in small amounts sometimes with tiny blood clots she had a c section a year ago but recovered well from it she is in good spirits and eating well and drinking excessively
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Vet_Dr.Drea replied 1 year ago.
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you!
The signs you note are most consistent with a urinary tract infection, which while alarming, can produce blood in the urine and leads to frequent attempts at urination due to a constant feeling that they have to go. The good news is that urinary tract infections can typically be easily treated with antibiotics. Antibiotics are by prescription so she will need to see her veterinarian for evaluation and to have the appropriate antibiotic prescribed. **Please note, the infection can get worse and be severely detrimental to her health if left untreated**
When you take her to her veterinarian, if you can, collect a urine sample and bring it with you. Also, continue to let her drink as much water as she wants so she produces urine in case they want to collect an additional sample at the vet (we sometimes do this as if we want an accurate culture we can't use a sample that was urinated out, so we must collect directly from the bladder, which we can easily do with a needle and syringe).
She is most liking drinking more simply because she has increased thirst due to increased urination, however, this can also be a sign of endocrine disorders such as Diabetes. Your vet may also recommend some bloodwork.
Thank you for your question and I hope you find this information useful! Please feel free to respond with additional questions, and when you are satisfied with my answer please rate my answer so I receive credit for my time.
Have a great day!
Dr. Drea

I'm just following up on our conversation about M Ei-Lin. How is everything going?

Vet_Dr.Drea