Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog is almost 9 years old and recently she has started

Customer Question

Hi, my dog is almost 9 years old and recently she has started going into bedrooms in our house that she typically has never hung out in previously. She will just go in there and lay down for a while. Examples are the guest room and our son's room. Nothing has changed recently in our house so I don't understand this change in her behavior.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. The original expert you asked for is not online. My name is ***** ***** I have been working with dogs for 25 years.
Given her age she may be suffering from canine cognitive dysfunction. This will show a change in behaviors. Sometimes they are so subtle that owners do not realize it until the dog starts forgetting their potty manners.
Eventually you may see other things as well such as standing in corners or walls or not remembering which side a door opens from.
I would jot down any new behaviors you are noticing and bring them to the attention of your vet. It affects each dog differently, much like human dementia.
Of course you can't rule out the obvious such as change of seasons and ask is it cooler in these places she chooses to lay in.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Angela,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Katie. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive