Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

About 6 months ago our 6yr old golden retriever started drinking

Customer Question

About 6 months ago our 6yr old golden retriever started drinking 4 times as much as usual, we spoke to the vet who had us measure & keep track of how much he was drinking over a 2 week period, it was about 10 cups which she said for a dog his size (96lbs) was not an excessive amount. But to us it was alarming because it was SO much more than usual - I actually water down his dry dog food because I didn't think he drank enough previously. When he goes the bathroom, he goes & goes, for minutes, & in the last few weeks he has had a few accidents in the house. We did blood tests and the vet said everything was normal, sugar & electrolytes and whatever else she tested for. Now this morning he didn't get up to eat his breakfast, the 1st time since we've had him. What could be wrong?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn Jersey is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Did your vet do a urinalysis?
2- Any other test besides blood work?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes she did a urinalysis, & said there was no sign of an infection, he also had a fecal test done with his yearly check up which was May 30th. They said they would call if there was a problem & I haven't heard from them so I am assuming it was ok as well.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Kathy, from the way that you describe Jersey is drinking and urinating it does sound like he may be drinking more than usual. If your vet did blood work & urinalysis and found everything to be normal, the next step is to consider doing xrays of his chest and abdomen to rule out things like tumors that may not be evident in the blood work, yet be the cause for the increase in water consumption. The fact that he is not eating this morning I would try to have him re-checked today.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kathy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jersey. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter