Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Have my 38kg dog home with me from the vets. He is riddled

Customer Question

Hi. Have my 38kg dog home with me from the vets. He is riddled with cancer and the vet wanted to put him to sleep but we opted to bring him home so he could die with his loved ones with him. We have some slightly out of date morphine which we want to use. Can u please tell me what dosage to give him so that he passes comfortably. Thanking you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Please know that it is highly inadvisable to try to put Kramer down at home with morphine. It is not a drug that we would ever use to do so. I understand that he has fought a long battle with cancer but trying to overdose him with this drug would not be a good way for him to go. He could end up with severe vomiting, aspiration of vomit into his lungs due to being so sedated by the drug, seizures, agitation, and an overdose could lead to him struggling to breathe until he died. So, I would not advise risking that with him.
Instead, it would be best to ring his vet or a local mobile vet and request a house visit. That way he can be safely put to sleep at home with little stress or worry. And he can go peacefully after his long fight.
Please take care,
Dr. B.