Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a small male dog yorkie/chihuahua mix. He's about 10

Customer Question

I have a small male dog yorkie/chihuahua mix. He's about 10 years old. For the past few days he has chewed excessively at his flank area, had a dry hacking cough and seems to be overly excited as if he is itching. He is tick and flea free for sure. He is an inside dog with liberal time outside each day for exercise. He has had some hair loss but it seems it comes from his chewing of his coat. He is still eating and drinking regularly.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Is he chewing only one side of his flank?
Have you seen him scooting or dragging his bottom on the ground?
Any redness, swelling, lumps or sores around his rectum?
Any changes to the skin where he is chewing (ie redness, pimples, pustules, scabs, crusts, scaling, etc)?