Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

I am giving a dog insulin shots twice a day. The dog insulin

Customer Question

I am giving a dog insulin shots twice a day. The dog insulin is 24 per injection. I need to know what the calculation would be in conjunction with human insulin. Sometimes my vet runs out of insulin and has me use human insulin.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I'mCustomerand I would be glad to help with your question about Kari. You don't mention what type of insulin your dog is taking. There are many insulin choices available. Some are 40 units per milliliter and others are 100 units per milliliter. This means it requires different syringes to measure a 40 unit insulin than you would use to measure a 100 unit insulin.
In any case, EACH INSULIN IS METABOLIZED DIFFERENT IN THE BODY. There is no equivalency calculation that can be done to determine the dose for one insulin as compared to another. For this reason, you cannot switch insulin types and assume the does is the same. When switching insulin types, it is advised to start at the lowest recommended dose per pound of body weight and work your way up just as was done upon initial diagnosis.
If your vet runs out of insulin, ask him for a written prescription and order some from your local retail or online pharmacy. Alternatively, find a new vet. It is NOT acceptable for your vet to leave your dog without insulin and to suggest the alternative of temporarily using another type. This is dangerous for your dog and should not be done.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Sincerely, Customer
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.
Have you received my response? I wondered if you had any questions or additional information you'd like to request. Please let me know if so. Otherwise, the kindness of an accept and positive rating for my answer would be very much appreciated.
Thank you, Customer