Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My lab is 12 yrs old. Is it necessary to continue heart worm

Customer Question

My lab is 12 yrs old. Is it necessary to continue heart worm medicine at that age?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
Given that many dogs live to 15 years or more, I do not have any good justification for suggesting that you stop heartworm prevention at 12 years of age. If Lucy had a serious disease, such as kidney failure or cancer, for example, and her expected survival time was 6 months or less, then I could support the idea of stopping heartworm prevention.
I think it would be tragic to have an otherwise healthy senior dog develop heartworm disease due to a voluntary choice to stop the prevention.