Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I am trying to breed to labs. Both , she is 2 and he

Customer Question

I am trying to breed to labs. Both virgin, she is 2 and he is 5. They both are extremely interested. It's day 10 now from when she started bleeding. 3 days now he has been non stop whit no duccess. I noticed he can't get a full erection. We have to make him come in the house to take a break. It's wearing him out. It's been very hot outside. In the 90's. He's loosing weight from not eating. She's also a couple inches taller than him. He does seem to reach her, he just can't get a full erection, should I be concerned? They are both still interested and she will let him mount her.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
It may be that it is just not quite time yet, or at least she may not be ovulating and have entered "standing heat" which is the time when she will actual stand still and allow the male to breed her. I have faith most dogs can get things to work out functionally; so I am not less concerned about him with functionality, as her tolerating him until she is actually "ready."
Female dogs will be in heat anywhere from 7 to 28 days after the initial day of onset of the discharge/bloody phase. Most are most fertile between 10 and 18 days, but there is a LOT of individual variation.
I do have some general recommendations:
Introduce bitch and stud every 2 days starting at about day 7 from the start of bleeding. If they tie, repeat every two days until they are no longer interested (usually 2-3 matings). If they don't mate, try again in 2 days. If the dogs are normal conformation, as it sounds, then this will work 70-80% of the time. I often helps to have two people involved so that each dog has a person in 'charge' of them. Some dogs get spooked the first time they 'tie' and could conceivably try to run off if not kept under control which results in injuries that may necessitate an emergency veterinary visit.
If they are big, and there is a serious heigh mismatch then you may need to consider doing artificial insemination at the next heat period for her, and consulting with a reproductive specialist to help you with this.
For a good book to use as a resource for breeding try Phyllis Holst's book, "Canine Reproduction."
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Luger. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey