Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a king shephard and past few days he has

Customer Question

hello I have a king shephard and for the past few days he has been drinking ALOT more water than usual and has thrown up clear slimy whote foam
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.
I understand that you are concerned because your fellow Apollo is drinking a tremendous amount of water and vomiting slimy clear foam.
His slimy vomit is likely stomach and esophageal mucous mixed with air as he retches and vomits. It is not indicative of anything in particular other than that he is nauseous.
A normal dog will take in 1 to 2 ounces of fluid per pound of body weight in a 24 hour period. That includes water and fluids in his food. So a 75 pound dog shouldn't drink more than 75 to 150 ounces in a 24 hour day (10 to 20 eight ounce cups). They drink more when eating dry food and less with canned because canned is primarily water. I would measure the amount of water he drinks in a 24 hour period to see if he truly is drinking too much. Put out a measured amount and then keep track of any added and subtract what is left at the end of a 24 hour period. If he is eating dry food and it is warm where you are and he is drinking more than 2 ounces per pound of body weight over a 24 hour period or if he is eating canned food and the weather hasn't been extremely hot and he is drinking more than 1 ounce per pound of body weight then his water consumption is abnormal.
He is likely feeling dehydrated because he has been vomiting, but if even water is making him vomit you need to take it away from him for a bit and then only allow him sips until he stops vomiting.
In most cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors or esophageal reflux,
More serious causes of vomiting include toxin ingestions, viral or bacterial infections, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease or diabetes), or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction. If he isn't neutered than a prostatic infection is also a possibility. Because he is older fellow then an abdominal mass is also a possible cause.
Because he is vomiting even water and noticeably drinking more ideally he would see a veterinarian now.
If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but if he's not improving quickly he should see a veterinarian for an examination, some diagnostic testing, intravenous fluids and injectable medication to settle his stomach.
To try and settle his stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help settle his stomach, get him feeling better, and hopefully get him to stop vomiting.
I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow his stomach to settle after the acid reducers.
In a couple hours when you give him water make sure it is in small amounts only. If he drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. You can also offer ice cubes to lick. To get some electrolytes in you can offer him a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.
If there is no vomiting for 12 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.
If things go well and he doesn't vomit feed him the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in his regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert him back to his regular diet.
If he continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower then normal temperature (less then 99F), has a tense painful belly or if he refuses to eat he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Apollo. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara