Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 10 year old golden retriever has a vaginal yeast infection,

Customer Question

My 10 year old golden retriever has a vaginal yeast infection, I believe. My vet gave her amoxicillan 500 mg twice a day. She is still on them. My rat terrier is after her so it seems that the medicine is not helping yet. Could it be something else? Could I give her some AZO for yeast infection?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Did your vet diagnose this as yeast (since we do see bacterial vaginitis too)? Was a swab taking?
How long has she been on the antibiotic?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I have not heard back from you but did want to leave my thoughts about Dharma's situation.
First, I do have to note that AZO is not used in dogs and there is no established safe dose or known effectiveness (or toxicity risks) for this. Therefore, we’d not want to put her at risk with this. And while I would note that there are anti-yeast treatments that you can ring your vet for (which they likely will dispense since she was recently seen for this and if they share your concern) , I do have to warn you that if yeast is suspect, we do need to tread with care.
The reason is because vaginal yeast infections in adult dogs is often a secondary issue of another health based problem. This could be a focal bacterial infection in the vagina as well or a bladder infection. But it can also arise if she has ongoing systemic issues (ie diabetes, cushing’s disease, etc) or even related to a tumor in the vagina. Therefore, these types of situations are rarely straight forward and often they are a sign that the dog is immuno-weak due to another issue (and the yeast are taking advantage). And that means even if we do just treat the yeast, there is a serious risk that that may not stop the problem and we’d need to instead target the primary underlying issue.
Therefore, in this case, if she isn’t responding to the antibiotics (which are for bacteria), you really do want to discuss this with her vet. If they suspect one of those other underlying issues, we may need to pinpoint that first for her. Otherwise, if the vaginal infection is the main concern, then it’d be ideal to have a vaginal swab collected and then sent for culture (or some vets can analyse the sample in their practice). If it were to go for culture, this would confirm the presence of yeast but also check for bacteria (and sensitivity would tell us what those were vulnerable to). And that would tell you what was present and therefore guide you on properly treating it to clear this for her.
Overall, in regards ***** ***** question, AZO is not recommended for dogs. That said, if yeast is thought to be the main issue, then your vet can dispense and oral treatment to help this. But again, do be careful since often yeast in an adult dog isn’t a primary issue and instead a red flag that something is affecting her immune system such that this fungus is able to overgrow and cause signs itself.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Claudia,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Dharma. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer and your concern.
We took Dharma to our vet yesterday and he checked her over and prescribed a different antibiotic and a larger dose of it. She seems to be getting better because Rowdy is not bothering her like he was before. She had this 4 years ago also. At least we seem to making progress now.
Thank you very much for answering me.
Have a great day!
Claudia
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome and thank you for the update, Claudia.
I am glad to hear that her vet has changed Dharma to an alternative antibiotic and that we are seeing her make progress now. :)
Keep up the good work and all the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)