Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Our miniature schnauzer has always been affectionate, outgoing,

Customer Question

Our miniature schnauzer has always been affectionate, outgoing, happy, playful. A few days ago, he began shaking uncontrollably. Eating normally, but eating grass for a time. No vomiting, no diarrhea. but, he is hiding. Going downstairs and spending an entire day under a coffee table. This is extremely unusual.
No sign of injury or sore places.
Brought him upstairs to see if he would snuggle with my husband in the recliner as he always does. Shaking started again. He left. we found him cowering behind a door, then later found him in the dark bathroom.
when we let him out, he acted normal earlier in the day, but once in the house, he acted frightened and isolated himself.
Any ideas? And how should we treat him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had a guest, but that hasn't bothered him in the past. And, behavior hasn't changed after the company left.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
This does sound concerning for Bentley. Unfortunately his signs are vague and could indicate one of several possible underlying issues. I would think this to be a medical problem before we jump to behavioral. My top worry is he is experiencing pain from somewhere such as back/neck. Your vet could easily detect this on an exam. Alternatively, he could be having primary cerebral (brain) issues that is causing partial seizures or disorientation of some variety. If this was the case there are many possible causes for a cerebral issue ranging from hypertension (high blood pressure) to electrolyte imbalances to cerebral lesion (like a tumor). An exam and some lab work would be very useful as a screening tool to look for these issues. Alternatively, he could be having a heart arrhythmia as is common to have heart disease in this breed/age which is causing him to feel "off" or an organ issue which is leading to imbalances, although more symptoms are usually seen with an organ issue such as vomit/nausea/diarrhea.
I wish there was an easy at-home solution. At home I recommend try to keep his routine as normal as possible so he does not get confused.MOnitor him closely. Ultimately, the best for his is for him to be evaluated by his veterinarian today. Pain can be identified on this exam and then explored. If nothing is found then further testing is indicated.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.